Thursday 19 January 2012

Crochet Edged Handkerchiefs


I've changed my mind about my first sewing project!  I'd like to start with something both easy and practical, and I found this idea at Craft Passion which looks perfect and sweet.  Handkerchiefs would be immensely useful I imagine, since all winter I go around sniffling.  Tissues are used up by the purse-load, and when you think about it, it's not very environmental.  Plus, I'd love to be able to make these as gifts for people, and it's a medium to practise my crocheting and learning to embroyder on!  It's perfect :)  Here are the instructions if anyone wants to craft these cute hankies along with me (or go to the website for a tutorial inclusing pictures:

1. Cut out a square of fabric for your handkerchief.  9" x 9" is the usual size for a women's hanky, and 12"x12" for men.

2. Double fold in the edges to make a hem, press with an iron, and zigzag stitch along them. 

3. With a large needle and crochet thread, blanket stitch around the perimiter of your hanky.  This will let you anchor your crochet stitches to the handkerchief.

4. To crochet around the edge, follor the pattern of chaining three, and then single crocheting at the middle of a blanket stitch.

If my instrictions aren't clear enough, take a look at Craft Passion's blog and use the photo tutorial to help!  I'll let you know if mine turned out ok with pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment